Friday 18 June 2010

EVE Blog Banter #18: You know what, I've still got the same damn shirt on!

Welcome to the eighteenth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by none other than me, CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed tocrazykinux@gmail.com. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!

On May 6th 2010, EVE Online celebrated its 7th Anniversary. Quite a milestone in MMO history, especially considering that it is one of the few virtual worlds out there to see its population continually grow year after year. For some of you who've been here since the very beginning, EVE has evolved quite a lot since its creation. With the expansion rolling out roughly twice a year, New Eden gets renewed and improved regularly. But, how about you the player? How has your gaming style evolved through the years or months since you've started playing? Have you always been a carebear, or roleplayer? Have you only focused on PvP or have you given other aspects of the game a chance - say manufacturing. Let's hear your story!
I've never written a single blog post related to the blog banters that CrazyKinux kindly instigates but I have read the majority of them since my dive into the world of Eve blogging. In honesty I thought that only those in the blog pack chosen by Kinux could actually write these, though my naive vision and tentative nature washed away and I realize that as with many things, it's all a means to make the community grow. Thus I have decided that from now on I shall put my all into future banters and what better a beginning could I ask for than to ramble on about my life in New Eden? That being said, lets begin.


Based upon those that I have read in regards to this edition of the banter, I didn't begin quite in the same way most did. I wasn't invited to join the game, I had no prior contacts or friends who played the game (I did, however, have many who mockws it! The term 'excel spreadsheet' comes to mind.) Despite my fellow mmo players guidance to play something like Ultima Online or Final Fantasy XI (which I did try and do enjoy) I took the plunge into Eve... And got bored. I cancelled subscription and left Kishin to twiddle his fingers inside station. I eventually came back to Eve in October, randomly chose a corp advert in my home station and clicked apply.


I was most definitely among the lucky people in New Eden when I jumped on to ventrilo for the first time with the members of High House of Shadows. Not specifically a pvp corp I inquired about the prospect of some roams to the CEO and he gave the green light. I have never been a competitive person in any aspect of my life, I dislike confrontation so I can't really recall what led me to this desire, perhaps the boredom of missioning and mining. Things went well at first, I spent the days missioning low level missions to gain enough isk for a Rifter hull and the nights flying the low-sec systems with my corp hunting the villainous pirates that I had been informed of through what felt like tales of myth. Yes that's right, I was an anti-pirate. Admittedly this wasn't through personal choice, but by mandate of the alliance we were a part of; Republic Alliance. I've never had a liking for them or what they stand for, none the less I stayed on board purely due to the people in HHOS. Things came to a stand still for me when the majority of my friends moved to 0.0 and I still barely flew Rifters to any level of efficiency. I gained insight from Wensley of the Tuskers (at the time) and followed my heart towards getting 5 solo kills and joining the Tuskers!


A little over three months after I set off alone to become a pirate I succeeded and joined the Tuskers. I would fill in the large gap of time there but it's all available via my blog which began the very day I quite High House of Shadows. In terms of the banter I would say that I differ in most as I never engaged in the activities of a PvE player in any true way. I've never gained any tangible amount of isk through anything other than piracy and as far as knowledge regarding anything in the realms of Eve's industry goes I am incredibly limited. I've had a stab at trading; it went poorly. I've tried missioning; didn't make it to level 3 missions. I've tried mining; didn't get past a Scythe. My entire life in New Eden has been riddled with frustration through isk difficulties and lack of knowledge about the environment around me. Heck, I didn't even do any of the tutorials to help me out bar the mandatory one. I jumped into Eve, fall on my face and crawled for 5 months straight. Then when my application to the Tuskers was accepted, I picked myself up, dusted myself down and finally felt at home with the life I led. 


I won't say that I didn't have fun before the Tuskers as the groundings of my knowledge as a pvper came from pilots such as Masquitar and Sagantor, what I can say is that I've definitely expanded on my skills and knowledge since then. I command fleets with pilots whose skill points out-rank me five fold, I am confident in performing any task given to me by an FC without fail and I am able to make a positive income through my life as a pirate. 


I'm still ridiculously young and many parts of the game hold an enigmatic quality to me, such as 0.0 warfare and wormhole life, yet the more I read blogs about them, watch videos and enter into those environments I realize they aren't for me. Piracy is my place in Eve and will continue to be until I see fit otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment