Wednesday 21 July 2010

Brother Can You Spare a Dime?

        Part of me wants to write a completely different post than the one I am at current. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a fool when it comes to deciding the name of each entry and thus pretty much all of them are songs that I like. I suppose in a way you can find out a little more about me just by finding the song that heads whatever of my writings you decide to read. This title in particular pertains to the Tom Waits version. Moving on swiftly.

All pirates are pvpers. All pvpers are not necessarily pirates, far from it. This much is true within Eve. Some I suppose could argue that those who scam are the dark side of industry but I wouldn't regard them specifically pirates, we'll focus on those that yyaahhhrrr for now. So here's the question I put forward to you the reader; what allows a pilot to gain this 'pirate' status. Is it the bounty on our heads? Perhaps the negative security status (for those that are really hardcore) or is it the sacred art of ransoming? I personally opt for the third. Anyone can come out of a bad engagement and want to get some revenge (however futile bounty revenge is) and any avid pvper can let his security status slip enough to be flashy. On another counter to this argument a majority of self proclaimed pirates have neutral security statuses, most likely for tactical reasons or otherwise.

So now we've isolated what I believe makes a pirate I basically want to see who actually does ransom victims primarily? I intend to ransom every target that I come up against and through following this mantra rigorously I actually do make my living off piracy on it's own. Whilst the isk isn't in any way a stable cash flow, I find that a little planning and careful piloting allows for a decent career as a pirate. One thing that can be said for piracy done in such a way is that pvp evolves to become a different style of game. Assessing a situation becomes even more crucial than it would be for any other combat pilot as the stakes are so much higher. In effect, whilst a POS is the lifeline for an industrialist and a mining barge is a miner's right hand, a pirate plays a far more dangerous game (wouldn't you have guessed) as the vessel that is being pit against the torrential onslaught of an entire world embodies a pirate's all; money, life.

I really feel that ransoming is becoming a dying art form and I want to begin spearheading an initiative to change this. Please keep an eye out for future announcements here to try and re-invigorate the art of ransoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment